Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A New Year

We welcomed in the New Year in our usual fashion - the three family, all together in a big family hug. Not sure where that came from, but it's been a common practice more years than not. The cat, however, did not make it to that event...she was upstairs hiding under the bed while the neighbors shot off fireworks. Have I mentioned before that the cat is a scaredy cat?

I'm reveling in the fact that I don't have to go back to school this month. It's the first time in what feels like forever that I can say that. Right now I have no plans on pursuing anything else academically which would require my writing a check for tuition or ordering college textbooks. It feels a little strange to finally be able to say that I am finished. I feel like I should be out pounding the payment looking for a job but it's a little different with a teaching degree. That still seems so odd... I have a teaching degree! I am highly qualified to teach K-8 graders! Wow.

I am looking forward though to teaching and getting paid for it after my student teaching experience last semester. I have a mental 'list' of things I'd like to be able to do when I actually earn a pay check. Some of them are household related or things for the family. Some of them are those things that I'd love to do, but would never want to use the 'household' budget to pay for so they remain on my 'wish list' of sorts. Nothing drastic like kidnapping Hugh Jackman or Gerard Butler and holding them hostage.

I've been thinking about resolutions a lot. A friend mentioned she was considering not spending so much time on the computer. Why are we all so addicted to things like the computer, iPhones, iPads, iPods and the sort? Why do we, and I am including myself here, have such a hard time with shutting these devices off and just BEING? I can say this because I am the proud owner of an iPhone...and it is addictive! Hubs has a Blackberry - and it is equally addictive. So we are all either on the computers or some type of electronic device. It's insane! To break up the craziness we did actually manage to play a board game over Christmas vacation that did not require any electronics. By the end of the game, I swear everyone had the shakes! But I digress... I wish I could think of something to give up for the New Year that I wouldn't completely quit within just a few days! Maybe this will give me something to ponder as I am waiting to pick my daughter up from school today. Rather than playing on my iPhone.

1 comment:

Ryzmomplus2 said...

Good luck to you and congrats on your degree! You are part of the reason I went back to school, and while I'm still not focused on a specific degree, I admire people like you who set forth with a goal and follow through!