Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Born This Way Shirts ...

Why do I volunteer to do projects for my daughter and her friends that require way too much time and leave me with no time to really do what I want to do? See, yesterday they wanted to meet up at the craft store to purchase the materials to make a 'born this way' t-shirt. Because a few of them want to wear it in the chorus class talent show on Wednesday. My daughter does not want to wear hers. And she is in another class. So we are standing in Joann's when someone says something to the effect that we can just make them something to wear one time. In other words, waste our money and time creating something that they won't ever want to wear again. Which to me says "tacky". I guess that is when I spoke up and said I would work on the t-shirts for the girls. Each mom purchased their daughter's plain t-shirt and The Bug kept up with them. I bought a few supplies, called my friend Slacker Mom II to see if she had ever used the cricut to cut fabric for something like this...and decided we were heading to Hobby Lobby. Bought iron on letters there. Came home. Worried about it. What had I volunteered to do? Spent some time with my family. Came back downstairs after everyone went to bed and created a stencil to try my hand at painting what they wanted. Didn't like it. Got up and went to Michael's this morning. Bought some transfer paper. Came home and designed what I wanted on the computer. Had to borrow my mother's printer. Turned off all the phones. Printed out 8 sheets - each one has something different on the front. The backs are all the same.

All of the girls now have their shirts. Each shirt has "BORN THIS WAY" on the back and something that each of the girls identify with on the front. My daughter's says...well.... "GINGER" which kinda surprises me because I don't think of her as a red-head. She was when she was a little girl. But she has the coloring so okay. She embraces it though and LOVES it. One of her friends chose "FRECKLES". Another said "TV ADDICT"...which could really be a Youtube obsession if you asked me. The final girl said "BAD HAIR" which I LOVE because we always talk about hair together and how we wish ours would do something different.

I am hopeful that at some point in time I'll be able to snap a picture of them in their shirts. It will be slightly different than their tribute to the Beatles that they staged Friday night.

No comments: