Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A New Beginning

Today is my birthday. I don't know why, but the idea of getting older has never really bothered me. In fact, when I was younger I LOVED to point out if I was older (according to my best friend from 7th grade... I apparently did this every year!). Sure, I can see the progression of time. My hair is a little grayer around the edges. My hands don't look like those of a 20 year old...although being an obsessive hand washer does not help. Just this past year I realized that the doctors are right....the cartilage between your knees does deteriorate - I can tell this when I am scrubbing the garden tub and try to get back up! But it doesn't really bother me.

I like to think of birthdays as an opportunity to grow. I like to think about things about myself that I would like to change and decide what I need to do to set things in motion to try to make these changes a reality. This year, I think what my change will be is taking better care of myself. The past few years have been about furthering my education. Raising my child.Trying to be superwoman for a lot of different people in my world. So this year is about doing things for myself. Not anything drastic - just small things that matter to me. Taking time to enjoy the flowers in the yard (did that today) or time to read a book or watch a movie that I want to see. Taking the time to stop and get my eyebrows waxed or getting my nails done. Getting a coffee. Or, like today, going to Zaxby's and having a milkshake. The birthday cake milkshake to be exact. And you know what? It was GOOD!

So today, in honor of my birthday, do something special just for you! :)

No comments: