Thursday, January 20, 2011

What Inspires You To Do Better?

I am taking a class that deals with languages and communication sciences. So far this evening I have watched two videos - one about an African parrot named Alex who is learning to talk. The other is Jane Goodall talking about what she does best - lecturing about chimpanzees. Listening to her talk it makes me wonder...what encouraged her to leave the civilization that we are so accustomed to and to travel into the jungle? What would I do if my daughter were determined to do something like this with her life? What if I had ever felt that way?

Right now she's talking about what we have done to hurt our planet. It really makes you think about the damage we have caused our planet, and ourselves, by our decisions to live the way that we do in our comfy homes and our lifestyles with all of our comforts. Don't get me wrong - I'm not willing to sell my house or my car and make a drastic change to my life. I recycle, almost religiously, because I figure doing this is a small step that can make a difference.

If you're curious - check out this one link with Jane Goodall. It's about 28 minutes long but very interesting.

No comments: