Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Dilemmas

You know how you try to plan for things and get all your ducks in a row so that everything is taken care of early on and you don't have to worry about things? I love it when a plan comes together... but this is one case where the plan is not coming together well at all.

Back in October The Bug auditioned for All-State Choir. She was sick at the time, we did not have the scoring results and she didn't feel as though she had done a good job considering she was under a doctor's care and her voice just wasn't 100%. Well, fast forward a few weeks. Our church had its annual sign-up for a youth retreat that takes place the same week in February. The money was due at the time of sign up. And rather than waiting it out to find out about All-State, we went ahead and signed her up and paid the fees. Well... guess who got the highest score in the first audition? Even though she was sick ... and her Mom got her to the audition a measly 5 minutes before time to perform? (I thought I'd mention that now...but this nice director guy let her wait for the next group that went to do their thing.) My daughter.

So the dilemma is this. If she makes the second audition, which is this weekend, and by the way..she isn't feeling good AGAIN... we have to decide what to do because both events are the same week. That's right. The Youth trip is Tuesday through Friday. All-State is Thursday through Saturday. In two different states. About 360ish miles apart. There is a no refund option with the youth group at church so she either goes a few days or doesn't go at all. She really wants to go to All-State. I think both will allow her individual growth in both areas of her life that she loves...music and her Lord. But I am thinking... do I really want to drive 4+ hours to pick her up and turn around and drive to the other location? Is that practical? Won't I be completely worn out as well?

Why is it we often times find ourselves in dilemmas when we are trying to do something good rather than something bad?

2 comments:

Slacker MOM II said...

oh Darn! I had a full post here and I lost it. Anyway, just think of the money you will be saving if you don't drive to the church destination and back. It may be cost effective not to go. There will be other church trips in the future. I also mentioned that you will be exhausted from all that driving-either day. This might be a once in a lifetime opportunity for The Bug and you want her to enjoy this experience to the fullest.
Good Luck and keep us posted!

Scrappy Girl said...

I really am not a fan of dilemmas. They make me break out in hives and I usually end up under the covers whimpering. Best wishes to your daughter whatever you choose.

I love your 2011 word.

Thank you for all the great comments on my blog. I love all the discussion.