Thursday, April 15, 2010

Would you ever participate in "Wife Swap"?

On Tuesday I had the house to myself while I was getting ready to head out to my classes. I turned on the television in our bedroom and lo and behold, Wife Swap was coming on. What caught my attention was the fact that there were two families - one lived the pirate lifestyle and the other were the complete and total opposites. The second family - well the mom was an organization freak. Not that it's a bad thing. She labeled everything from the shelves in the pantry to the bins in the freezer. Talk about organized to a tee and she looked the part. The pirate mom.... she did let anybody 'swab' the decks. Their house was in total chaos. It was unreal.

It got me thinking. I've always said if Oprah's people ever called me (Or Ellen's or even heaven help us SPRINGER) that there was no way I'd be willing to go on a talk show or an episode of some reality series. Hello, did you not see Hope Floats, where poor Sandra Bullock, the former reigning Queen of Corn goes on a talk show and finds out her husband is leaving her for their neighbor... Her best friend???? Exactly my point. I figure those people who want to tell me something or show me something on national television are there to make a mockery of me or my lifestyle. Because why on Earth would they find something about my fix the breakfast/lunch/dinner and wash the dirty underwear lifestyle to be entertaining?

I didn't stick around to watch the end results of the show. Because for one thing, I knew this one was going to end badly. I saw the sneak peek where the couples sat down at the table and tried to discuss what they'd learned about each other. There was some finger pointing (by a husband) and some 'beeps' inserted over pirate momma's mouth. Just not for me. Too much reality is not such a good thing. Television for me at least, is all about the escape. Kind of like blogging. Few people in my reality know about this little thing that I do for myself. I don't advertise it.

So what about you? Ever thought about going on a reality show? And don't get me started about those real housewives! Because the ones from Atlanta ... well they're not a good representation of the housewives I've seen. I like the New York ones...but they even get on my nerves. I love Biggest Loser - and I have a great deal of admiration for their contestants being able to stand on a scale each week. Because when I weigh myself... I even make the cat leave the room. Heck, I would leave the room too if my presence were not a necessity. So what about you? Are you a reality junkie? Take them or leave them? Inquiring minds wanna know...

2 comments:

Ryzmomplus2 said...

those wife swaps seems so unreal, but although I haven't seen many of them - they usually have a good result in the end. I love biggest loser and usually catch that one each week, and each season I get caught up in The Bachelor series with the thought that I will never again watch...hahha Here and there I catch project runway or celebrity rehab...

The Source said...

I'm not a big fan of REALITY. Period. I prefer to live in my own happy little world. ;)

As far as tv, DD and I sometimes watch the pageant shows like Little Miss Perfect. The overdone Wow Wear, the nutty moms yelling "sparkle baby!" and "work it girl!!" at their five year old as the child hops around making stupid facial expressions and tries not to fall over backward from the weight of her hairpiece...well, you just don't get more entertaining than that! And rarely...very rarely...we'll turn on Gene Simmons Family Jewels. It's ridiculous! But I'm not actually sure either of those shows should be termed "Reality." Maybe "Psychotic Mania."

Your girl is way too young for this, but have you ever seen MTV's 16 and Pregnant? DD brought it to my attention. I don't normally watch anything on that station, but if you want reality, well, there it is. Teen pregnancy and all the issues that come with it. Right there in your face. The kids are clueless and immature, not ready to be parents, self-centered and self-absorbed. Which is pretty much NORMAL for that age. The show follows the teens for several months as they tell their families of the pregnancy, sometimes have to leave school, deal with high risk pregnancies, try to work out relationships, learn to tend to a newborn, find work, go back to school...it's pretty harsh. Never pretty. Typically doesn't end well as the fathers get antsy and move on. But it sure doesn't portray unexpected teen pregnancies in a glamorous light! It will definitely make a kid stop and think. Probably wouldn't let the Bug watch it yet, though.

I could never be a contestant on Wife Swap! What if they had big dogs in the house? Or they ate raw meat? Or made me do farm work?? Or beekeeping? Or wood-chopping?? No, I better stay here. Besides, what if my husband liked his new wife better?? Then what?!