Sunday, December 20, 2009

Mamaw

My Grandmother, affectionately known as Mamaw N around our home, passed away this past Friday. She had been in the hospital twice within the month. Once from chronic heart failure and the other from pneumonia. We (my husband, myself and The Bug) arrived at the hospital about five minutes too late.

Momma and Daddy were both there, as were my two aunts. Momma told me that Thursday night my Mamaw was laying in the bed and quoting Bible scripture. She told The Bug that we are told to memorize scripture and to hid it in our hearts for times when we need it. If there was one thing to be known, she was an amazing woman of faith and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that she is in heaven now. Rejoicing with her husband, my grandfather, who died in October of 1987. My brother. My uncle, their second son, who died three years ago. Her Mother, who died when my grandmother was just a few months old.

I guess in this post I just want to say. Tell the people whom you love how much they mean to you. If you think you are too busy to visit with your family and the people that you love, then believe me, you have your priorities all wrong. I've had a hard time dealing with the fact that I really didn't visit her like I know I should have. I've realized these past few days just how much I have missed out on with that side of my family because we thought life revolved around where we were and that we didn't really have the time to go and spend with all of them. I have 7 first cousins on that side. I only see them at funerals these days. I was talking to "G", who was my absolute favorite cousin when I was a little girl today, we were talking about one time that we got trapped in the barn at Papaw and Mamaw's house - it was Easter and there we were, doing what we shouldn't have been doing (playing in the loft) when the cows all came along and we couldn't get back downstairs. In our Sunday best. Papaw came to our rescue. Good times. And so many opportunities to make good memories like this that I have missed out on over the years.

I'm exhausted from driving so much lately and off to bed. Be kind. Merry Christmas.

3 comments:

Slacker MOM II said...

I love you!

The Observer! said...

i like ur blog...merry chirstmas!

sunny
www.lifeislottery.blogspot.com

The Source said...

So sorry about your Mamaw! How wonderful to be able to KNOW that she's where she belongs now. At home with her Father and those she loved.

I especially appreciate your words about spending time with loved ones and making sure that they know they're loved. My grandparents are going "downhill" health-wise and get so lonely these days. Even just taking them to the doctor and stopping by for fried chicken on the way home makes them so happy! I'm glad I live near enough to be there for them.

Our prayers are with you and your family! Sending you some hugs, too.