Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Reflections

Things are winding down here at home. We opened presents this morning as a family and had some time to relax before we headed down to my parents' house to celebrate the holiday with them and with my sister and her family. It seems strange to have a holiday without Joseph here at home - I heard though that he had a good day and had a good meal in Iraq and had a chance to call his wife and his Mom and sister this morning.

This year, for me at least, everything felt rushed. It might have to do with the fact that we were planning an anniversary party for my parents and that I had taken on the responsibility of trying to plan an activity for the class that I am teaching at church and the additional responsibility of letting The Bug have a party in the mix of things. With the prep work at my parents' house and my being so sick this past month, in addition to my grandmother becoming ill and passing, things got way out of hand. I usually pride myself on being organized and having all sorts of holiday fun and merriment. This year I was at the mall on Christmas Eve, wrapping gifts after 9 o'clock last night, leaving "Santa" some store bought cookies from Walmart and hoping and praying that I didn't forget anything. I think I tried to overcompensate my reluctance in getting things done by overbuying for The bug...but in my defense, I stayed near my original budget.

I used to participate in this holiday preparation group online - we would start early in the season just to be prepared for Christmas. I think I'm going to pull out my old notebook and look at how I can incorporate the plan back into our life next year. I missed doing so many things this year - decorating our gingerbread house, having my cookie exchange, sitting down and doing our Christmas cards, decorating the yard and the house from top to bottom.

My classes start back in January - I'll be taking a full load of 13 or 14 hours. I will do 12 hours of observations/practicum in an elementary school classroom. This will probably be my life for the next 5 semesters as my advisor says it'll take that long to complete the core requirements. Things are going to be very busy. I need to work out the details to be able to balance home life and all that is important here and my school life and not allow myself to feel overwhelmed when it comes to celebrating the important things in life.

With that being said, I am excited about the possibilities that the new year will bring. I should hopefully have some Christmas pictures to share soon - I just need to get them off of my camera.

What about your Christmas do's and don'ts? anything that you left off the list this year because time just wouldn't accommodate it?

1 comment:

Ryzmomplus2 said...

I was just thinking about you and school as I have been pondering it myself... This Christmas for me seemed rushed and racing at the last minute and I didn't like that, compared to last year where it seemed I was more prepared. Going to make changes or next year!