Sunday, October 25, 2009

My Daddy...and his music

Today we went to my parents' house after church so that Hubs could help Daddy go and get a piano from a friend of theirs. It's one of those player pianos so I cannot wait until we get it all cleaned up and moved into the house and give it a shot. It should be fun!

But we were sitting around eating Kentucky Fried Chicken when Daddy mentioned that we need to be sure to be in town the weekend after Thanksgiving. Because apparently he got a phone call this morning and he is being voted on to be inducted into a music hall of fame here in our state. I'm not sure exactly what this is, but I do know that it's very exciting to him and he was thrilled. Someone called this morning to verify some information and I believe he said the elections were some time today. I can remember typing up his biography for this a while back when someone submitted his name. I think it will be exciting to see what happens.

I can remember doing that and realizing that I never knew my Dad had a recording contract when he was younger. But the group split up right before they were to go into the studio. He has played with some really famous people over the years but again this was something that I was really not that aware of until now. He is extremely talented and I love to hear him pick up the guitar and just play for pure enjoyment. When I typed the biography, we were talking about the people that he had played with and the opportunities that he had to go and play with different groups and yet he stayed at home with his family. I asked him why? He told me that back then you really couldn't make a living as a musician...so it became something more of a hobby for him than a career choice.

I am glad today that I have recordings of him playing - whether it is a professional studio 'jam session' or just from his birthday party and the guys playing in the house. I want to make sure that my grandchildren and great-grandchildren know what a remarkably talented man he is. I am so glad that he passed along to me his love of music and although I don't play anything with strings, I know that satisfaction that he feels when he's making music. It is something that only Daddy and I share... something that will always and forever make me think of him. It moves within me though to make me want to go upstairs and get out The Bug's guitar and teach myself to play. Imagine how proud that would make him now? He was always an immense supporter of my band and chorus activities when I was in school. He was always sitting in the congregation when I played in the orchestra when I was younger, when I sang in the choir as an adult and even when I would sing with the quartet on special Sunday mornings. Thank you Daddy for making music such a big part of my life!

I can't wait till he gets the results of the election. The person who called him made him feel rather confident that it would all work out - so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

1 comment:

The Source said...

Oh wow!! Congratulations to your dad! What an honor to even be a part of an election like that...I hope he gets it!