Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Where Has The School Year Gone?

In just three days time, my daughter will be out of school for the summer. No longer a 6th grade - now onto 7th grade and all the teenage angst that accompanies it. Not that she gets caught up in any drama. By far the only drama she usually talks about is what her friends seem to get caught up in. Such as a friend who just can't cope with the fact that her "BFF" has moved on. Her mom has called the other girl's mom, they've talked at length. Today apparently the counselor got involved. My daughter informed me of all of this after dinner - when she told me that this friend has 'serious abandonment issues'. All I can envision is that first time that her boyfriend 'dumps' her. Stalker city. But in reality it is really sad and I hope that she finds a way to cope with the loss of this friendship...as I can imagine dragging the counselor into the soup isn't really going to help and will only make the friend angrier and more determined NOT to be friends anymore.

I got my acceptance letter into my next step on the educational highway. I now need to make sure I have secured my tort liability and complete my final application. I need to get on the ball on this. Rather than sitting around on my laurels. Fighting bronchitis. Which is getting seriously old. I'm even semi considering heading to the Dr. because I am so sick and tired of having no control over my cough. Anybody got any suggestions?

I have a new addiction of sorts. While everyone else is busy Twittering and Facebooking...I have found myself obsessed with watching Harper's Island. I know... seems that I'm actually watching TV! It's a really interesting show - albeit a little violent at times - but it all ends in 13 episodes. There's no sitting around waiting to see what's going on with the gang from Lost year after year. Instead I'll know who the murderer is and be done with it. Sort of like a good book that gives you all the information that you need. Tying up the loose ends.

I am excited to see that My Sister's Keeper is being turned into a movie that is coming out soon. I can remember the shock at the end of that book and crying for what seemed like forever at the way it ended...now I cannot wait to see it but I know it'll be one of those movies that I see by myself.

I caught myself watching Jon and Kate Plus Eight this past weekend when there was a marathon on some random cable network channel. I'll be honest, reality TV is really not my thing. But I was feeling bad and The Bug and I ended up at different times on my bed watching the show. Personally I don't think that I would be willing to allow the media to come in and critique every aspect of my daily life. People aren't perfect. Marriages take a lot of work. Life is hard and once you think you've gotten it all figured out the rules all change and it's back to the drawing board. I feel sorry for this couple for the problems they are having. In this day and time, there is no such thing as privacy. I read that once about celebrities. Today they deal with so much more than an occasional photo being taken - we are such a technologically advanced world that nothing is private. I mean, you can google just about everyone and find out anything that you want to know about them...and even more. There is no such thing as privacy. Probably why I closed my facebook a long time ago....too much too fast and too time consuming. What are your thoughts?

With that being said, I like to blog. You can control what goes out. You can control what you read. It's not something that's taking over my life, albeit in the beginning it is a little crazy and you feel compelled to be out there and heard. So with that being said, I'm off to search for some cough medicine and a soft, fluffy pillow for my head. Hope all is well in your corner of the world.

1 comment:

The Source said...

Let's see...congrats on the acceptance letter and I hope that you're feeling well enough soon to do all the rest of the stuff that goes along with it! Bronchitis really takes it's toll.

I cannot believe that they're old enough to be in 7th grade. Well..mine won't be, but still. That's half way through middle school! Ugh.

John & Kate...well...I guess I feel somewhat sorry for them, but then again not. They don't seem to mind raking in the money in exchange for giving up their privacy. And she just seems so MEAN to me.