Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Wednesday's Words

To know me is to know that music has a special place in my life. You could say that I cut my teeth on the treble clef. I have grown up with a great musician for a father. I sing. I play the saxophone. I enjoy reading music and listening to music and I generally surround myself with music all of the hours that I'm awake. I've been known to BURST into song - sometimes at embarrassing moments for my older sister (in front of a group of cute boys when I was little).

Music has always been the background soundtrack to my life. I relate events over the years to the songs that I know and enjoy listening to on a regular basis. The music has changed over the years - but one thing that is constant - I have always enjoyed the hymns that are sung in church. From "Old Rugged Cross" to "Just As I Am", I have seen them work as a ministering tool to people. There are times in church where I will hear God's message through the songs that we sing rather than through the message of our minister.


One of our favorite songs is "Who Am I" by Casting Crowns. If you scroll down to the bottom of this site, you'll see it is listed among the Inspirational songs that I've listed. I just wanted to share the lyrics to the song today. Take some time and think over what they are saying. Listen to the song if you've never really heard it.


Who am I?
That the Lord of all the earth,
Would care to know my name,
Would care to feel my hurt.
Who am I?
That the bright and morning star,
Would choose to light the way,
For my ever wandering heart.
Not because of who I am,
But because of what you've done.
Not because of what I've done,
But because of who you are.
I am a flower quickly fading,
Here today and gone tomorrow,
A wave tossed in the ocean,
A vapor in the wind.
Still you hear me when I'm calling,
Lord, you catch me when I'm falling,
And you've told me who I am.
I am yours.I am yours.
Who am I?
That the eyes that see my sin
Would look on me with love
And watch me rise again.
Who am I?
That the voice that calmed the sea,
Would call out through the rain,
And calm the storm in me.
Not because of who I am,
But because of what you've done.
Not because of what I've done,
But because of who you are.
I am a flower quickly fading,
Here today and gone tomorrow,
A wave tossed in the ocean,
A vapor in the wind.
Still you hear me when I'm calling,
Lord, you catch me when I'm falling,
And you've told me who I am.I am yours.
Not because of who I am,
But because of what you've done.
Not because of what I've done,
But because of who you are.
I am a flower quickly fading,
Here today and gone tomorrow,
A wave tossed in the ocean,
A vapor in the wind.
Still you hear me when I'm calling,
Lord, you catch me when I'm falling,
And you've told me who I am.
I am yours.
I am yours.
I am yours.
Whom shall I fear?
Whom shall I fear?'
I am yours.
I am yours.

1 comment:

Scrappy Girl said...

I am not musical at all...that song is gorgeous! LOve it!