- Make a weekly or monthly budget and stick to it
- Use an ATM
- Open, use and balance a checking account
- Apply for a credit card and use it responsibly
- Save up to buy a desired item
- Set aside money for charity
- Keep track of important papers
Okay, so these may be geared more to the older teen - but still sound advice. Even the youngest of children can learn about giving money to charity or saving up to by something that they really and truly want. Maybe a tweener could be responsible for balancing their savings account. I know growing up I had a friend whose parents had her give 10% of her allowance for tithes (because afterall He lets us keep that other 90%) and then she had to put 10% in her savings account before she could do anything else with her money.
So what about you - how are you teaching or how did you teach your child(ren) to be responsible with money?
Tune in tomorrow - we'll be talking about clothes.