Sunday, February 1, 2009

How Do You...

How do you deal with the tough questions that your children ask? I know that I mentioned last week that I had planned on blogging more and for that failure - sorry - but here is the question that my daughter asked recently and what our minister said.

But first, a little background...
Our daughter has always been inquisitive. She has always asked things that I was surprised that a child at that age would even think about. I'm not being boastful, but honest. I don't know if it's because she is the youngest child in the family - the relative closest to her age is about to turn 20. But my child, she is a thinker. Recently we were talking one night before bedtime when she said she wanted to ask me something...and believe me, that statement uttered by her sometimes makes me nervous! ... but she wanted to know why God would have created Satan the way that he did, if he knows all and knows the past, present and future...why would he still create Satan knowing that he would turn on him and do the things that he has done?

At first I had to tell her that was a good question. Something that I don't think I would have thought about at her age. Then I told her the best way that I knew how to explain this is because God gives each of us free will. We have a choice between right and wrong. That he created the angels the same way - I mean, if he had realized it was a flaw, wouldn't he have changed that ability to choose in you and me today? I told her to imagine what a world would be like where we lived without the right to choose. And we also talked about somehow having the CHOICE and MAKING the RIGHT CHOICE are not the same thing. People make bad choices every day. We have to live with it... I mean, why did I choose to be 'slackermomatlarge'? Now that I think about it - who wants to be labeled a slacker?

Well we recently completed a new member class at church. After the first meeting, I asked D.W. if I could talk to him about a question....you get the picture. He told me to go back to her and ask her if she could create a person, would she not give him the CHOICE of how to live? Then he went into the discussion about FREE WILL just like I had. I left there feeling much better about how I had answered her question. Time has passed, and along with it a lot of questions have been asked and (hopefully) answered. Last Sunday morning we are sitting in our usual spot in the pew when D.W. is delivering his sermon....when he starts telling the story about a parent whose child had asked a question about WHY God let it happen since sin is a disobedience to God. My daughter's question exactly. Why did God allow this to happen? This is what I wrote in my notes...
If you create someone to be in a relationship with you (as we were created),
would you give them no choice in who they would love and make them love you
only? Because GOD IS LOVE.
Because of His love and nature, He gave man a choice. Because of choice, man
rebelled. That probability was already there. The most
disappointing thing in human nature is that we are fallible. We do well till we
have to get out of bed in the morning....the the fallibility begins!

So there you have it, in a nutshell. Probably a lot wordier than it needs to be. I'll leave you with this thought....

Whatever has been brought your way, know that God knows what He is doing and He is in control. He has a plan. You might not be able to see it now - but it's there.

He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the week. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31 (NIV)

2 comments:

Scrappy Girl said...

This was a great post to read...I really enjoyed it. Great thoughts!

The Source said...

Hmmm...my mind is blown this week, I guess. I thought I had commented this when I read it days ago, but now I see I neglected my slackerfriend.

I think you did a tremendous job answering her question. She's obviously quite comfortable coming to you with the important stuff! Which will be a plus heading into those teen years!