Monday, October 6, 2008

When Are Girls Old Enough For Makeup?

This is a hot topic around here.
When is the right time for someone to start wearing makeup?

I really don't remember how old I was when I started wearing makeup. I do think that I was wearing mascara in the 6th grade. I'm extremely fair - with light hair. My eye lashes seem to be invisible if I don't have some mascara on. I can remember when I was allowed to venture into the world of eye liner. I remember discovering what shades of lipstick worked with my coloring and what was the best blush selection for me. Foundations have always been a funny thing. Even with a tan, I seem to still qualify for one of the light ivory shades.

Since The Doodlebug is full of inquiry into the world of makeup, I thought I'd toss the question out to those of you who visit my blog. When do you think it's a good time to let girls start wearing makeup? Do you remember how old you were when you started wearing it yourself?

I don't know about you ... but there are days when I cringe at the idea of having to put the very minimal on to go somewhere. Maybe now would be a good time to go for a makeover!

Leave us a comment and help us settle this once and for all. Take a minute to vote in the poll in the right hand column as well. And as always, thank you for playing along with The Momster.

5 comments:

The Source said...

7th graders tend to have skin that's breaking out. I think powder is great to cover up those little spots. I mean, it's just cruel to make a girl go to school with her zits uncovered. Also my girl was allowed a little light lip gloss & a LITTLE mascara. In 9th grade she was allowed to wear any kind of makeup...she added a bit of eyeshadow & blush to the powder & mascara. She hates and despises any type of foundation, but doesn't really need it. The cleaner her skin is, the better it looks anyway. This year (10th grade) she has added eyeliner...and may I say that some days it's too heavy for me, but I try to keep my mouth shut because at least she's not drawing thick black lines around her eyeballs. Some of her friends look like they use Sharpies to outline their eyes.

I was wearing makeup in 7th grade. Green and purple eyeshadows. Up to my eyebrows. PRETTY! Pretty shocking. I laugh at my pictures from then.

Scrappy Girl said...

Manga Dork wears some powder to cover her pimples along with a light blush and brown eyeshadows. And of course she loves lip gloss! I don't really encourage eyeliner since they kinda go a little too far with it at this age.

Be sure to pop over and check out what I have decided to do for my bday! I think you'll wanna come...

sheila said...

When a girl is in middle school she should be allowed to wear makeup. Probably right around 11. That's when they 'get their girl on'


Start her on light pastels, mascara, minimal light blush and light gloss on the lips. If you teach her LESS is MORE and the proper techniques including taking it off to avoid pimples, you'll be good!

(My own personal rule was nothing blue on the eyes- and no red lipstick LOL)

a Tonggu Momma said...

I was allowed to wear powder, mascara and lip gloss in seventh grade... then everything but eyeshadow starting in ninth grade. I think I added eyeshadow once I could prove to my momma that I knew the meaning of "less is more." (And my parents were pretty strict about that stuff.)

Wendy said...

My dd started in the 7th grade with clear mascara and lip gloss. When she hit 9th grade she moved to eyeshadows and liners. Now that she is a Junior she loves Bare Minerals. She received the started kit from her grandma and aunt for her birthday! I loved it so much I bought one for myself...heehee! Now we take turns doing one another's makeup.

My photo's from the 80's are filled with Maybelline's Frosted Angel Blue Eyeshadow...what was I thinking...LOL!