Tuesday, October 7, 2008

W4MW - Organizing Mail

Here's how it generally works around here. Someone goes and checks the mail...and then leaves the stack some place inconvenient...like right on the table right before dinner time. So then it all gets stacked into a bigger pile because I hate going through the mail. I mean, bills and advertisements? No thank you....


But I've found a way to tame the mail monster. I am the person who usually checks the mail these days, but if someone else in the house checks it, they know to let me know where it's at. Usually while I'm trying to debunk that myth about watching a boiling pot, I stand over the trash can and sort through the mail. I trash anything that's not necessary. I open all of the utility bills and things of that nature and put them together with their corresponding envelope. And the guess what? I use my napkin holder to sort the mail! That way, when it's time to sit down and work on the budget, I have everything I need in one convenient spot.


It works for me. To read other ideas go over to Rocks in My Dryer.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

My kids are infamous for getting the mail when they get off the bus. Then they come in the house and throw it where ever they can. Two weeks ago I finally said "no more checking the mail"! Now I make the hubby bring it in when he gets home from work...heehee! Then we fight over who's going to shred it..lol! A few months ago I purchased a 12 page paper shredder and we love it. That sucker will eat through anything! It's like we are taking out our aggression when it's shredding. It's the little things that make me happy...heehee!

Scrappy Girl said...

Here's how I organize my mail...Dr. Hubby gets it, pays the bills, shreds the shredables, and trashes the trashables. LOL! Not my department.

McEwens said...

I do the same, I get the mail and sort it right over the trash, bill in one area, ads in the trash!

Jo said...

Hubby brings home the mail and puts it on the counter in the kitchen and I go through it in the evening. Junk mail gets recycled, bills get entered into the computer and some crap gets shredded. We have a had a rule here for years and years....no opening bills on Fridays, bills can wait until the weekend is over. lol