Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Why Did I sign up for Astronomy?

Today in Astronomy class, we had quite a few 'talkers' who really upset our professor. We are talking about the same guy that I have mentioned on here before...but today he had some friends join in his merry making. Dr. Astronomy was growing more agitated with each comment or noise. At one point, he stopped discussing the information that we would need for Friday's midterm. I mean, who wants to be disrespected to that level?He made reference to the fact that we could learn it on our own. What? So guess what The Momster did?

No, I didn't duck tape their mouths, even though if I had a roll of it in my bag, that's what I would have done. Instead I leaned past my friend and said the ringleader's name. We'll call him Big Mouth. We had a brief conversation about his behavior, the fact that he was getting on my nerves, not to mention Dr. Astronomy's and that enough was enough. I think he was shocked. But you know, he didn't talk anymore during class. Dr. Astronomy then proceeded to share with us the rest of the information that we needed.

Did I feel a little guilty about doing this? (I didn't yell ... I spoke in a low voice, but I'm sure Big Mouth knew exactly what I was talking about...) Yeah, a little bit. I mean, it's not my place to interfere. I don't want to be thought of as the "Mom" in the room. But there's a time and place for everything. When you can see someone is becoming upset with a certain behavior, you nip it in the bud. And I'm not driving down there to be entertained with the current state of gas prices and our economy. He can go and be a clown somewhere else.

See what fun and interesting things I encounter at school? I still feel bad about being lumped into a class where we have more behavior issues than anything else. Dr. Astronomy often times looks exhausted after an hour with us. I am ready for this semester to end. To get out of these classes so that I can start focusing on my intended major coursework and hopefully avoid the goofballs like Big Mouth. This isn't what I had planned on writing about today, but it is really bothering me so I have to get it out of my head.

Ah, but tomorrow is yet another hour spent in Astronomy prison. I feel like I'm doing hard time...

5 comments:

Scrappy Girl said...

I hate when classes feel like that. Bravo to you for speaking up...I wouldn't have had the nerve...I am sure your classmates appreciate it.

Scrappy Girl said...

Nope I didn't know there were new pics...now I am going to have to go hit the www to check them out! Thanks for the info!

Lyssa said...

I"m glad you spoke up! I hated people like that in class. They were so annoying!
Thanks for visiting Twilightations! Glad to find a fan :)

The Source said...

Good job shutting him up, Momster! At least your professor didn't CRY. Did I tell you that the Oldest's best buddy has a professor that CRIES when the class is rude, or a cell phone rings, or someone chews gum?? He's obviously not cut out for teaching 18 year olds.

sheila said...

Awesome! Would have handled it the same way. It's hard enough living with 3, I couldn't imagine teaching a whole class full. Yikes!