Saturday, September 6, 2008

Twilight....

Oops...my daughter is editing my writing...it appears that the book is 498 pages. Apologies Doodlebug :)

Wow, have you ever picked up a book that you just could not put down? That is what happened to me yesterday afternoon when I grabbed my newly acquired copy of Twilight by Stephenie Meyer on the way out the door to go and pick The Doodlebug up from school. I sat in the car rider line and read for 15 minutes until the line started to move...and I was hooked. I spent the rest of the evening, in between fixing dinner and the general household 'stuff' reading. I finished the book last night. Some 428 pages I believe. Can you tell that I like to read???


First let me say that even though I have watched shows about the cold ones I have never read a story about one. At least not to my recollection. But The Doodlebug really wants to read this book and she knows there is a movie coming out soon that is based on it. This meant that I signed on to read it before her just to make sure it was okay. While there were some intense moments, I think the book will be fine. I mean, we've read and watched Harry Potter, so we've dealt with the supernatural before as well as a little bit of violence.

What I didn't expect though was to enjoy the story. I'm not going to give anything away, in case you are considering reading it yourself. But I will say that it was entertaining and I couldn't wait to see just how the story would end. Right now I have the next book in the series waiting on my night stand. I am also in the process of trying to study for my first exam in Biology so I am only reading a few pages when I feel like I need a break from non polar covalent bonds and defining what an organism is. But I am enjoying the chance to sit and read something aside from a textbook. The escape has been nice. Although The UIC just shook his head each time he saw me reading the book last night. He knows how much I love to read...

So what about you? Read anything lately that really held your attention? Do you ever find yourself (or have you found yourself) reading material that your not sure if appropriate for your child, only to find yourself enjoying the story? The Doodlebug has only 5 pages left in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. She can't wait to start reading Twilight. I think it will be a good choice for her since she has to read 1050 pages before October 10th for her reading class.

5 comments:

Slacker MOM II said...

How Funny...C just brought over the book and I asked if I can start reading it. So Off to reading....I will let you know what I think.

Scrappy Girl said...

LOL...you will like the 2nd book too. Not as good as #1. I am working on book #3! Love this series and I can't wait to see the movie! Manga Dork is the one who got me to read it too! I couldn't put it down.

The Source said...

Haven't read Twilight. From what I had heard, those books get pretty intense. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else? They seem pretty popular. I just finished The Pact by Jodi Picoult.

The Momster said...

I'm half way through the second book today. I study and I read...such is my life :)

I've read The Pact. I also liked My Sister's Keeper by Picoult. I just wish her books had a happier ending.

McEwens said...

I am an odd ball in that I like to read doctrinal books.... that is the oNLY thing that holds my attention when I read!