Sunday, September 21, 2008

Pride and Prejudice.... ah.

I actually watched a movie ... at home ...ya'll...alert the presses! I always feel guilty if I sit down and watch some guilty pleasure for myself. I always feel the need to multitask when I have the tv on...But last night I didn't. I got into my comfy chair, took control of the remote (can I get an amen?!?) and watched Pride and Prejudice on A&E. Oh my....excuse me while I swoon.... :)

I know that I had to read this story for school many years ago.... apparently I didn't enjoy it as much as most. Maybe I should go back and reread it? Because I thoroughly enjoyed the movie last night. I found myself giggling. Just like The Doodlebug. I found myself torn while Elizabeth refused Mr. Darcy's request for her hand in marriage. I felt her pain as she returned to her family, all the while keeping to herself what had transpired. I felt the prickly anger at Lady Catherine's assault on her,demanding to know if she was marrying her nephew. And the the elation at the end when Mr. Darcy told her that he was more bewitched....

I know a lot of bloggers talk about the movie. With a fondness for Colin Firth in the role of Mr. Darcy.... but last night, the movie was wonderful. Go here to see the trailer.... Have you got a favorite 'old classic' that you enjoy watching as a movie????


My favorite line, by far:

Mr. Darcy: You must know... surely, you must know it was all for you. You are too generous to trifle with me. I believe you spoke with my aunt last night, and it has taught me to hope as I'd scarcely allowed myself before. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes have not changed, but one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your feelings have changed, I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on.

2 comments:

Scrappy Girl said...

Ooooohhh! I love that line too. Gotta love Mr. Darcy...he's no Edward though. LOL!

The Momster said...

Too funny...and exactly what I told The Doodlebug! How sad is that????

Thanks for the laugh...