Sunday, August 31, 2008

Who Is Your Favorite Batman?

Today, we took a family field trip to the local cinema to see The Dark Knight, the latest in the Batman franchises. I found the movie to be interesting, albeit long, and I think that Christian Bale makes an interesting Batman. He has a different take on the role compared to one of my favorite Batman actors. And he's pleasant on the eyes.












Michael Keaton. Yes, I know - it was a little hard to imagine him in the role of Batman at first. But he was dark and mysterious. And for once I didn't think about him in Mr. Mom. Instead he had depth - and he looked pretty good in the bat suit to boot. He was calm and cool ... cut from a different cloth. After seeing him in the first Batman, I was a goner though. He could come over and we could play coupon poker anytime!


But all good things must come to an end and so did his run as Batman. He was replaced after two films by Val Kilmer. Now, Val was still considered a hot property thanks to playing The Iceman in Top Gun. But was he believable as the Bat? The UIC did not think so. I think that Val was his least favorite caped crusader. But this movie gave us Robin - aka Chris O'Donnell - whom I loved in Circle of Friends. And it gave us Nicole Kidman, Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones, another favorite of mine.

But Kilmer's time in the black suit was short lived as he was eventually replaced with George Clooney. George Clooney always makes me remember when I used to watch The Facts of Life when he was the handyman. But again, this film gave us Chris O'Donnell again. And introduced Bat Girl. It was a good movie. Not my favorite though and it ended the run of Batman movies for a while.

We were excited when we heard the rumors that there would be a new Batman. But honestly, we waited till it came out on DVD to see it because we still liked Michael Keaton in the starring role. In fact, I can remember picking up the DVD last year on Black Friday at Target - for less than $4.00. It was months before The UIC finally watched the movie. But once he did, we were hooked. We all watched it together and were amazed at the special effects. I think that Christian Bale did an excellent job portraying a role that so many have taken before him.

We could have an entire conversation about Heath Ledger and Jack Nicholson and who played the best Joker. Heath's performance was amazing...but at the same time, I kept thinking how sad it was that his life ended ... he was so young.

So what about you? Have a favorite Batman movie? Or was Adam West your favorite Batman from years gone by? Inquiring minds want to know....

4 comments:

The Source said...

Bip! BAM! POW! My favorite Batman was Adam West. I don't like any of the new ones. I prefer Spidey, myself. I like the old Hulk better, too. The one from the 70's. The new ones are too creepy.

The Momster said...

It's funny to me that Adam West never had to wear the 'heavy' suit that the guys do today. Clooney's suit looked wierd.
We are spidey fans here as well. And can't stand the new Hulk movies. I liked the original series. Of course, I think it's funny that they are bringing back the shows that we grew up with on tv to the big screen. Not all of them are an example of flattery :)

The Source said...

In looking back through those pictures, I realized that the newer Batman characters didn't even need their utility belts. They could just stab their enemies to death with those 8 inch long pointed ears!

Tammy said...

I like Christian Bale. I think he does well with his dual personalities... I just wonder if there will be any more movies now that Heath is gone?