Friday, August 29, 2008

Weekly Wind Down

Weekly wind down... I feel like I need one right now.

First, my classes are okay. I feel like I am definitely having a refresher course in math in my astronomy class. I knew there would be math, but this stuff is boggling my brain. I've managed to finish my first big lab assignment and am ready to turn it in Tuesday morning. Actually I'm going to try to find some time to look through the lab book to see if there's a lot more 'math lab' type stuff to be done. Because if there is, I might want to see if there's anything I can do beforehand. My biology class is so-so. Very monotoned at this point. The labs have been unique. One on the scientific method and another about chemicals and your sign. Yes, you read that right... your sign. One thing that I have learned though...never take two sciences at the same time!

Second, The Doodlebug and I are going to have to sit down and plan a strategy for her to become a tad bit more organized. We had a little bit of a blow up this morning before leaving for school about this very subject. That always makes me feel like I am less of a parent ... sending her to school after those kinds of discussions. I think the problem is that she has has to get her brain around the idea that she has so many classes and a lot more teachers. She's got to find a way to get organized so that she can keep track of what goes in whatever notebook and so forth. She's gone for the night, so we are planning on tackling this tomorrow till we come up with a solution that will work for her. Poor child brought home all of her notebooks though so that she can get everything in order before going back on Tuesday.

Third, I'm thinking about doing a little challenge with myself. I need to work harder at saving money for our family...so I've decided that I need to seriously start planning menus (a point in today's Fitness Fridays) and I also need to take advantage of all of the coupons that are out there and really get more organized myself. I'm spending more on gas commuting to campus so I feel like a penny saved is a penny earned. I feel like if I say I'm going to do it, I'm more accountable and I might actually follow through.

Fourth, I sat down and talked over the anniversary celebration with my Mom both last night and tonight. I know that this cannot work as a surprise - because to be completely honest, I don't think they would like to be surprised. We discussed the topic of food and guests and even where she would like for it to be held. I told her my concern is that since May is the beginning of 'wedding season', that we might run into a few snags along the way. I am feeling better about the planning though. I also know that now I have a goal in my mind for losing my weight.

Fifth, I need to start looking into my education options for January...now. The major university that I had planned on attending actually called me last week to see if I would still be interested in their program. I'm not so sure now. There are a few other options - I've just got to decide my course of action. One hurdle along the road is finding a program that will let you start in January, but again, there are a few where this will work.

And with that, I believe I am finished with my babbling. For now...

1 comment:

The Source said...

I understand the need for Doodlebug to get organized. My girl is extremely ADHD and it shows. But here's what helps her keep things together in a less stressful way: She has small 1 inch binders in different designs or colors for each class to hold notebook paper for notes and journals that have to be kept and turned in. In each binder she has a folder that can be taken out, which hold handouts, worksheets, graded tests, etc. Some of her binders also have dividers if the teacher requires her to separate sections...like in English class with journals entries, notes, written assignments. And she keeps an agenda to write all homework, test dates, due dates, and such. It REALLY helps her to have a system she can rely on. Before this, we were constantly going back to pick up something she left or having tears over a lost item. Good luck!! Once you find a system that works for her, it'll be much easier.