Monday, August 4, 2008

One Week From Today - The Bell Rings

I cannot believe that in one week school starts back. Where has the summer gone? I'm letting The Doodlebug sleep later this morning as it will be the last one for a while. I took a look at our school calendar about a week ago and realized they have Labor Day off and then there is no break until Thanksgiving. That's a long time to go with no teacher's work day or anything in between. Only because they've had a mini break in October for the past few years. I was disappointed to see it gone - we had talked about taking another mini-vacation if there was another break. Oh well.

We've been back to school shopping. I've been told that the girls can't wear leggings at school...and that their shorts have to be finger-tip length. Great. Just great. My daughter loves leggings and she's cursed with having my long arms. I've gone through her closet and found a few shorts that I think might work (but there's a lot more that won't...) and we've gathered all the bermudas and capris that we had hanging around. Yesterday we took her shoe shopping and grabbed a few more pairs of capris. On Saturday we went to the mall with my Mom and got her a few new things as well. Now she's just got to pick out what to wear the first day of school.

I am waiting to hear back from both colleges today - but I'm not sweating it. I've already looked at the schedule of science classes and am pretty much set on taking Astronomy and Biology. I thought about Chemistry instead of Astronomy, but I'm not sure. Anybody taken any of these in the past or have any advice about what would be better?

So since I've derailed my plan (yet again), I think that these next few months are going to be about getting myself to the place where I need to be. I've neglected a lot these past few weeks and it's time to get back into the groove of taking care of myself and the family. Now that we are back from vacation, we are all committed to being healthier. We are waiting to hear back about some tests that The UIC had on Friday - I am sure that's going to result in some lifestyle changes. He'll have to start joining us on our walks at night. I need to focus on getting myself to a healthier place. I know they say that getting into shape gets harder as you get older. I don't want to be where I am 5 years from now. Heck, I don't want to be where I am right now... so there should be no excused to stop me!

It's funny, I read my friend's blog this morning and she talked about setting goals. It must be a theme through the neighborhood? Maybe it's time to drag out my New Year's Resolutions and give them a dusting and realize it's time to make them a reality? And on that note (since I could babble on for a long time), I'll end here. Have a Marvelous Monday.

3 comments:

The Source said...

Ugh...school starts on the 18th for us. Try this with the shorts and skirts...use a credit card and hold it lengthwise...from the top of her knee to the top of the card should be a perfect length for her clothes.

The Oldest just registered for classes last week...first semester of college...gulp! He'll be taking Calculus, Chemistry, Eng. 101, Intro to Engineering, and a CAD class. He's excited and I'm nervous.

Scrappy Girl said...

School starts here on the 26th. We are going school shopping on the 22nd. We make a huge day out of it. She will be getting a new hair do, pedi, mani, and a new wardrobe. Needless to say, we are exhausted by the end of the day.

Ryzmomplus2 said...

Wow school starting already! I don't even want to think about it yet! You crack me up but its true - I think I need to dust of those resolutions too!