Friday, August 8, 2008

Fitness Fridays - How 20 Minutes Can Change Your Life

I have been wanting to share the following information with you, so I couldn't wait for Fitness Fridays to get here! I think it originally came from Women's Day or Family Circle magazines. It's something that a friend sent me a while back that I've held onto. Seems appropriate for Fitness Fridays..

I'm sure we've all heard it before - 20 minutes of mobility can change your life. Seriously? How is 20 minutes going to change anything about my life? After all, that's less than the time we spend watching the average sitcom. How can giving 20 minutes to myself change my life?

Well for starters, did you know that if you exercised for at least 20 minutes each day, you would be working towards your goals of losing weight? Now - isn't it worth it to think if you gave up just 20 minutes you could lose a little tummy pudgy? Maybe firm up some area that gravity seems to have the death grip on? I don't know about you, but 20 minutes doesn't sound like a lot to sacrifice. It's the anti-gravity movement :)

Also, 20 minutes of physical activity can help to reduce your stress. Really? It works. Take 20 minutes and go for a walk. It's hard to stay steamed or worked up over something when you can work out your aggressions with your feet. Just imagine, as you are letting go of the situation, your heart is also getting a great workout.

So even if we think we are too busy, can't we take 20 minutes a day and do something good for ourselves?

5 comments:

Scrappy Girl said...

Isn't it weird how somedays you just can't seem to find 20 minutes! I definitely know exercise helps with stress, but I also find it hardest to exercise when I am stressed about something. Seems like I just can't get my butt in gear.

Ryzmomplus2 said...

What great advice I need to start implementing in my life!

Teri said...

Great info. I finally made myself get back into the gym this summer. Makes a world of difference.

The Source said...

Twenty minutes a day, huh? I can do that! I think.

Kirby3131 said...

I have started adding in 45 seconds to my day - I know it sounds weird, but I live on the 5th floor of a condo - the elevator is REALLY slow and rarely is anyone with me in the elevator - so I do standing push ups in the elevator. (Hands against the wall - push out, then go towards the wall and push out again)

I have noticed that after a few months, my arms are much stronger.

Imagine what a full 20 minutes would do!

Thanks for posting this :)
Kristin