Sunday, August 10, 2008

Do You Budget?

I know, why not just ask the question forthright, right? But I am curious...do you budget? We never really had a budget when I worked full-time and in reality, I think it spoiled us. We were used to doing whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted. Granted, we didn't live some highly extravagent lifestyle. We had a modest home in a good area with wonderful neighbors. We didn't drive overly expensive cars. But we indulged ourselves in things that we enjoyed. For The UIC that meant sports - including baseball and hunting. For me, it was shopping and I was a very generous giver.

But since I am a full time student (studying education) and we have moved into a higher taxed county, the subject of budgets are always right around the corner. While I am the taskmaster since I have a background in accounting, I am also always reminding my family that we have to 'consider the budget'. I think it's making them crazy. There are times when it makes me crazy, too.

I keep excellent records but then get upset if he buys something with cash - because I always say "but you're messing up my budget!" --- how corny is that? So I'm curious...do you budget? Or do you throw caution to the wind when it comes to budgeting???

Leave me a comment please - inquiring minds want to know.

And tune in tomorrow - it's the first day of middle school for The Doodlebug.

8 comments:

COMcewens said...

I dotn have a written budget per say. I am aware of what I spend.... so I gues that doesnt help you does it?

Stephanie said...

We started keeping a strict (STRICT!) budget a few months ago after attending a money management class (called Financial Peace University). It's been weird because we never used cash before, and now that's what we primarily use. Unless something is an emergency (which comes out of a separate fund) the only money we allow ourselves to spend is what we have in our cash envelopes--each one marked with a specific spending category. It's hard, but it has kept us debt free.

Slacker MOM II said...

I have used a budget for my monthly bills and it has helped out. It was difficult in the beginning, now it is a fact of life. Good Luck to the Doodlebug. My girls are anxious.

Scrappy Girl said...

No budget here...Dr. Hubby takes care of the bills.

The Source said...

Yes...we have a budget. Are you kidding? With four kids...one entering college? We use Crown Financial by Larry Burkett. It's very easy to plug your stuff into and you can see where your money goes with the touch of a button. We are joing the Family Y this week, and after sitting down to puzzle out whether we had the additional fund to do so, we discovered that we spend about $300 a month on eating out! And we NEVER go to a restaurant. It's all a hamburger here and an ice cream there. Unreal!!

Ryzmomplus2 said...

I want to budget - I have the best of intentions to budget, but I've never come up with a good system that works and isn't too time consuming.

Oh and the first day of school already! Good luck to the doodlebug!

Kirby3131 said...

Dave Ramsey has some really great resources on finances and budgeting. I go in and out of budgeting - last year we had no incomes and all outgo - we learned all sorts of things and really controlled our money. Now that we are financially much better off we have relaxed a bit.

a Tonggu Momma said...

We budget. It helps that I pay the monthly bills while the Husband deals with the long-term investments and savings. That way, we both keep our fingers in the pie and are aware of what's going on.