Thursday, August 28, 2008

Detour ... Anniversary Party Ahead

Today I am coming to terms with the fact that my parents will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary in less than nine months. This means that I have a limited amount of time to actually plan a party for them. I have beads of sweat on my forehead at the idea of something this big. I mean, I'm good with planning a party for a bunch of preteens...but we are talking about my parents here. Ward and June Cleaver. Ozzie and Harriett Nelson. Mr. Cunningham and Mrs. C. Holy crap!

I don't even know where to start. Should I just go to my Mom and ask her what she wants? I don't want them to think that we haven't started planning anything. But let's face it - the last anniversary party I went to was maybe 20 some years ago and it was my Dad's parents' anniversary! I might be wrong, but I sort of feel like contacting my sister for help would be a mistake. After all, this is usually her thing...and she has failed to even mention it with everything that is going on in their lives. I'll have to get together the guest list. I'll have to decide what to do about invitations...

The surprising thing - there are tons of books out there to help you plan a wedding...where is the 'How to Plan an Anniversary Party and Survive to Tell about It" self-help guide? And please don't get me wrong. I would move mountains for my parents. It's just that this really has caught me by surprise. I want this to be very nice for them. But I have NO IDEA where to start. Anybody got any suggestions?

3 comments:

The Source said...

Is it going to be a surprise? Does your mom have any best friends that would like to pitch in with guest lists, etc. but wouldn't spill the beans? I would begin by figuring out approx. how many people you'll be entertaining. Then you can decide where you want to have it. Then start getting photos and memorobilia together cause that may take a while. You could do a photo story to play for them. Decide what kind of food and who's going to do it. That's a start...I can keep going. Want me to come help?

Mechelle said...

I saw you in scrappy's blog and came over to see what Fitness Fridays is all about. But I have something to say about this post since I just did my mother-in-laws 90th birthday party and my parents 50th last year. They ended up on the same week! CRAZY.

The 90th birthday party was harder because we kept it a surprise and that adds lots of work. The second we sent out the invitations, all of her friends told her how excited they were for her surprise party. She know, but did not want us to know she knew and it was such an effort to try and keep it from her. But the party was lots of fun and she really enjoyed it.

We did a power point of her life. It was not put to music. We also did a power point for my parents and put it to music and it was a lot better with the music.

For my parents 50th I went to me my and said, "What do you want?" She is a practical type of person and do not like surprises so this made it easy for me to be up front with her. She wanted all her children and their spouses to get together someplace fun and just spend some time together. So that is just what we did. My mom is not a kid person, (but she had five of us ~ bless her heart) so we did not have the grandchildren. That was hard on me but it was also nice to have just my brothers and sisters and parents around. That has not happened for 25 years!

Anyway, I am happy to let you know how we did things if you have any questions. I did the invitations to both and they were cute and fun and memorable.

Thanks for letting stop by your blog. m

Meredith@WrittenByHerself said...

Once you've planned the party, maybe YOU could write that book! It's an untapped market, so you'd probably make millions!!

PS - Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday. I'm glad I'm not the only one who recognizes the importance of brow-grooming. :)