Monday, August 18, 2008

Changes

I decided late last night that it's not practical to be gone to campus three nights a week and that getting home around 11 isn't going to work for us as a family unit. I hardly slept at all. I kept tossing and turning. I mean, in reality, I know The UIC can handle taking The Doodlebug to karate and going to any school functions with her, but there are times when a girl needs her Momster. So I poured over the college course schedule last night and discovered two things.

  1. There is an opening in the Biology class that meets about 15 minutes from my house at the satellite school. On Mondays and Wednesdays.
  2. There are no on campus science classes that meet for anything less than 3 days on campus - and those are few and far between. But there is an astronomy class that meets 3 days for lectures and 1 day for the lab. During the day. And there are 5 slots still available.

So I'm going to drop my ambitious night campus class schedule. And I'm going to enroll in the astronomy class and the local biology class. Then I won't be gone as much. I'll be home around 9 the two nights a week that I go to school. I'll be more accessible to my family.

The downside: going to campus four days a week means that I won't be able to sub as much. I did ask The UIC what he thought about this - he pointed out that I didn't sub all summer and that things are okay... so to go for the daytime classes. Because this way we don't have to both rush around in the afternoons - me driving to campus and him at breakneck speed to try to get home. He feels better about me going locally at night and not walking across campus to my car at 10:30 at night.

My registration period unlocks at 7:30. I'll be on pins and needles till then.

6 comments:

The Source said...

I think that you've made the right decision. Girls her age really do need their moms around. And you'll be less stresed knowing that you'll be home around 9. Those late nights were bound to get old fast!

The Momster said...

Well I managed to get both of the classes - and I've actually gotten home from my first astronomy class and a stop at the ever-popular bookstore.
Source, you are right - I feel so much better knowing this is the decision that needed to be made. One night a week isn't going to be bad at getting home at 9. And I'll be local, which is better.

Sigh...relieved :)

Jo said...

i also agree that you made the right choice, i would have done the same thing.
Glad to hear you did get both courses. Good luck!

Teri said...

Your new schedule choice sounds like it will be a whole lot easier for everyone. And good for you for making it work out! School is pretty cool. :-)

Ryzmomplus2 said...

Congrats to you and all the changes in your life. I agree with the daytime schedule! Good luck!

Kirby3131 said...

If your head and your heart feel better then you obviously mad ethe decision right for you.

When I had a night class and came home so late (11pm) it totally messed up my mornings. I vowed never to do that again.

Congrats to you for going back to school!