Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Water Up Baby!


You know, it's important to stay hydrated this time of the year, especially if you or any of your loved ones are playing sports. But did you know that you should drink 8 (eight) ounces of water every 30 minutes when you are exercising outdoors? It's true - and you should drink even more if it's hot and humid outside. I suffered a mild heat stroke when I was a teenager by not following this advice to take heed and do the right thing!

If you don't stay hydrated, you run the risk of having a heat stroke or suffering from heat exhaustion. Some warning signs include:

* nausea

* dizziness

* extreme fatigue

Staying hydrated is important for maximizing your performance - so in other words, drinking water improves your game. With all of the products available on the market now, you're not even stuck having traditional water. You can choose just about any flavor available.

So the next time you're heading outside to weed the garden, mow the lawn or just getting some fresh air and exercise, remember to take your water bottle along. For more Works For Me Wednesday ideas be sure to visit Rocks In My Dryer.

8 comments:

queenoftheclick said...

I love water on a hot day. I really like those water containers - do you know who makes them?

The Momster said...

The bottles are Camelbak Tritan .5 litre bottles.

Jo said...

Oh man do I know how important water is in the heat. A few years ago I was in a charity volleyball tourney and my mom was there wastching and poof...she just passed out. Medics had to come look after her and all. She had heat stroke and ws dehydrated. My kids were there too and having them see this was scary for them but also a good lesson on the importance of keeping those fluids going in their mouths.

Carol said...

Absolutely! And there is no other beverage that does your body good quite like water!

insertgracehere said...

OH Slacker Mom, I heart your name! Great post! We need to remember this!
Thanks for visiting my blog! I want to come over and visit yours...glad I did!
Rena Gunther

a Tonggu Momma said...

I run around in a perpetual state of dehydration all summer. I KNOW I should drink more water, but I don't. Now who's the slacker??? LOL. Thanks for convicting me even further! Really, thanks a lot (sarcasm intended).

(I love that you included reusable water bottles rather than disposable ones. And this truly is a great reminder. Thank you.)

Cindy said...

I worked at a summer camp once where a kid *refused* to drink anything but Pepsi...yep, she got dangerously dehydrated! Don't even get me started about parents who give soda, but not water! Thanks for the reminder to stay hydrated.

Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting!

Ryzmomplus2 said...

I love the propel flavor packs to add to my water lately and they are clear which is a bonus!