Thursday, July 3, 2008

It is a wonderful day for a swim....

Well, we've bitten the bullet. Bought the cow. All those little expressions that mean you've caved...I mean changed your mind... This past week I bought one of these pools. Actually I'm a little excited. The Doodlebug is thrilled to have any kind of pool in her backyard again. The UIC thinks it will be good for his back since he's been having so many problems lately....and let's just say it's a great thing that he's such a good friend with a chiropractor - otherwise, the money spent on this would have been paying for his 3 treatments a week. But I digress. We did spend a little bit of time debating where the best spot is in the back yard to put the pool since technically, all of my backyard has the slightest slope. But we finally decided and started setting it up today.

Now, we are technically still under certain water restrictions because of the horrible drought we experienced last year...Remember this picture of the lake? So I called the water company, per The UIC's request, to see if we needed any permit to fill the pool. Our only stipulation from the water company is that it has to take place between Midnight and 10 AM. Good thing I'm not sleeping much right? I just wonder how many of these midnight to 10's it's actually going to take to fill the thing? Maybe I'll get the deer (who seem to enjoy the midnight buffet in the garden) to join me and keep me company. Or I'll actually watch a movie! Woot!
In other news, I have decided to commit myself to taking the College Level Placement Exam (or that darned CLEP as I call it around here) by the 25th of this month. I feel that if I don't just go ahead and commit to a date, I'll never make myself take the test and that means I'll be back on the dreaded campus in the fall. So I'm going to be spending a lot of time studying science. Yawn.
Anybody stateside got big plans for the Fourth? We haven't finalized what we are doing yet. I know I'll end up doing way too much cooking...I made the grocery run for the supplies today ...but forgot to get chocolate syrup for the ice dreamy cake. I'm thinking we might load up and go to the parade in the morning - which we have never done before. When The Doodlebug was a little girl, I would always take her to this fountain in town and take her picture. I'm planning on doing that tomorrow as well.
Oh, and she gets her braces in about a week and a half. We're eating lots of popcorn till then! I think she believes that 18 months with no popcorn is like serving a life sentence. I just can't wait to watch the transformation that she'll go through - she's already changed so much recently with growing so tall and getting the hair cut and ears pierced. My baby is not a baby anymore...

I hope you have a wonderful day - go outside and play in the sunshine :) It'll do a body good.

4 comments:

Arleigh said...

Wow, a pool just in time for the holiday weekend! We don't really have any plans here... ordering wings and shooting kiddy fireworks in the driveway.

Answering your question from my blog, I am enjoying the cooler weather, though hot weather has never really bothered me. We lived in Fort Lauderdale, FL when I was pregnant before and it didn't even bother me there. I have a few more months though, so I hope that doesn't change!

Good luck with your exam! I would love to go back to school...

Have a great 4th!

Jo said...

we have a pool like that too...bought it 3 years ago and it was totally worth it for out family. Kids spend hours out there and Hubby gets in it some days after work. I tend to putter in my flower garden while playing lifeguard. We have been actually pricing above ground pools for next summer. We would like something a little bit bigger.

Good luck on the exam, I know you will just fine.
HUGS

Julie Stiles Mills said...

We are also proud owners of a "redneck pool!" We bought ours last year and LOVE it!

Scrappy Girl said...

My inlaws love their pool like that and the kids do too! I am slowed down a little bit with the toe today but I am looking forward to the celebration. I hope the rain will go away SOON! Wow, I remember when I got my braces. Tell her to chew some gum this week too! I missed the chewing! The other day when I was in Rite Aid I saw that they have these little wax balls for braces now. If a bracket is rubbing you can just put a colorful wax ball over it! Wish they would have had those back then. Would have saved me some pain!