Saturday, July 26, 2008

Is Miley Cyrus a Role Model?

This is a question that I find myself pondering this weekend. See, when "Hannah Montana" first hit the scene, I thought
oh what a cute little Disney show. Hey, look it's "Achy Breaky" Billy Ray... on
Disney
and that was about it. My daughter watched the show. We have both of the CDs. We don't have the Nintendo DS game - couldn't imagine that one. I'll shamelessly admit it - we have the Hannah wig, too. And I have a picture of The UIC wearing it in a moment of silliness...that I would share, but I would like to have a peaceful week with him at home, so I'll have to save it for another time...in case he checks in to see what all this 'slackerness' is about.

But I digress (often apparently). What worries me about Hannah Montana is her choice of pictures that get leaked out from myspace. I'm pretty sure she's not the first teenage girl to take a snapshot of herself, trying to look more 'grown up' than she really is. What I don't like is that it's someone who trumps herself as a positive role model for children. I could do without the bathroom mirror pictures of inflated tops and underroos, thank you. There's a lot to be said for the imagination (something else I am beginning to think today's youth just doesn't get...)

Then there are the Miley and Mandy videos on youtube. Excuse me? Are they trying to be funny like "Fred"... because I just don't get it. There is one that is on my service provider's homepage with an article that talks about "Miley's mean girl moment" because she is apparently poking fun at Selena Gomez and another new Disney up and comer. Whatever.

At least when Anne Hathaway wanted to shed the 'good girl' Disney image she was old enough to hopefully know what she was doing. Maybe she had better handlers than those who are supposedly watching out for Miley's best interests. But then again, who even said that Miley Cyrus is a role model? I think that younger girls idolize the "Hannah" part of the character. Without being caught up in the 'Miley moment'.

I am curious what others think on the Miley mania. Do you think that Miley is getting too much hype for her antics? Is she just riding on the hem of the success that Disney had with Hannah Montana? Do you think she is a role model for young girls? Sound away ...

5 comments:

Shari W. said...

I do not feel that she is a good role model for today's youth. It's like she speaks out of both sides of her mouth - those youtube posts are disturbing - Where are her parents?
She's a disappointment from the Disney lot...

Scrappy Girl said...

We like Miley here. I think that the paparazzi and tabloids are going to try to blow even the littlest thing up to try to catch her doing something wrong. I do however believe she would not be the star she is today without Hannah Montana. I just don't think she is that great of a singer. I hope she does not continue to dissapoint with her actions. I would hate for her to become the next Britney.

Shannon T. said...

I think the Hannah Montana side of her personality is a good role model - she learns from her mistakes and doesn't cave to pressure. Miley Cyrus - no. I am glad that my children do not look up to her. They have more realistic role models, thank goodness.

The Source said...

I don't think ANY 15 year old girl can handle being a role model. As the mom of one myself, let me explain...millions of little girls want to be Hannah Montana...have the 'limo out front' and all that. And that's normal. Like wanting to be a mermaid princess. But whatever else she is, the real Miley is a 15 year old. They do stupid things. They make bad decisions. They are still learning. I have a GREAT 15 yr old girl here, she's watched like a hawk...and she STILL almost burned our church down yesterday...accidentally. Doing exactly as she was told by the adults in charge!

Miley can only be as smart and mature as a 15 yr old can be. HER parents and the adults in her life should be helping her along. The parents of little girls who adore her should be careful to point out that it's OK to want to be like Hannah, but real kids have real problems and make real mistakes...just like Miley.

Haberdawoman said...

Our daughter loves Hannah Montana , however she is only 4 so maybe that is why I am not sweating all the non sense that have been put out there. What I think children as young as 4 and as old as 17 need to be tought is that these characters are exactly that... characters. People make mistakes every day and that is how we learn, and at the end of the day WE the parents are our children's role models. I also feel that the computer needs to be in the family room where you can see exactly what your child is watching because these days a child can get into a lot of trouble on the internet.