Monday, July 21, 2008

Don't Know Much About Biology...

I have become a hermit. I venture out of this room only by necessity. I am studying Biology ... and I am about to lose my mind!

You know that feeling where there is something looming in front of you, only you are trying to avoid it, no matter what? That's me and Biology. But I have put my nose to the grindstone and have been learning all about cells today. All those funky little names of things that won't come in handy - unless I decide to teach science, which let me tell you, would not be a good thing. My idea of science would be to experiment with the contents of the refrigerator while making a homemade pizza!

I'm really beginning to wonder what I have gotten myself into. To be completely honest, I am really upset with myself. I made the comment tonight on the way to karate that I should have taken classes this summer - driven to campus and got it over with. The Doodlebug, ever the sweetheart that she is, put her hand on my shoulder and said something like
Mommy, you know you can pass this test. You're smart!

I'm just having myself a regular ole pity party though. I'm mad at myself for waiting so darned long to go back to school. What kind of example am I setting here? What's with the procrastination? I know the importance of an education - I know it's one thing that can never be taken from you - I get the big picture. But I'm frustrated with myself. And upset that I'm doing this NOW - as an adult... with a family. I feel like everyone's getting short changed when I'm doing school work or attending classes. I miss my family and my friends.

*********************************************************
I had to take a little break, to go and put the towels in the dryer. This thought popped into my head and I wanted to share it with you, in case you are going through something, too.

Don't worry about anything. Instead, tell God about everything. Ask and pray. Give thanks to him. Philippians 4:6

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Everything's going to be okay. Whatever happens, it is God's will. Sometimes we just need that little reassurance in the middle of our own personal turbulence. And it's kind of funny, because I have a peace about it all now. I know what I need to do. I also know that I need to post this, without going back and deleting my frustrations. I need to put this out there for myself to remind me - I am not alone.

Goodnight :)

5 comments:

The Source said...

You can do it, Momster. Hang in there. Those are some of my favorite verses when I find myself in worry mode. Let me know when your test is...so I can be praying for you!

Scrappy Girl said...

I hate feeling the way you are feeling...it bums me out. Those verses are great! Keep them in mind when the moodies come to get ya! Good luck on your test. How long til you have to take it?

Ryzmomplus2 said...

This is something I've talked about doing and yet... still haven't. At least your getting going! You can do it!!

The Momster said...

Classes start back in the middle of August. My goal is to take the test by the end of next week, if I feel like I am ready. I have really let some other nonessential 'stuff' controll my summer...when I should have done this months ago.
I'll let you know when the test is when I finally call and make my appointment - at least they can do it the next day :) whew... but studying has been a little easier tonight :)
thanks!!!!

Rachel said...

I got your message on my post about the CLEP test. I used Research & Education Association Best Test Preparation for the CLEP Biology. It had 3 practice tests with it which really helped me target my weaknesses. If you are looking for one the ISBN is 0-7386-0049-0. I bought mine on campus but they are on half.com too! I think that any college Biology textbook would work great too because it would cover much of the same stuff.

As far as study suggestions, I studied for two weeks, with one solid week about 4 hours a day and just read the material out loud, made flash cards and labeled cells, body systems, flowers, etc. The test was hard and I probably sould have prepared more... I would have been less anxious while taking the test.

If you study and put some time into truly learning the information I think you should pass! And I guess the best study tip I can give is PRAY! When you feel like you aren't remembering ask God for the ability to focus and for your time spent studying to be productive...it certainly worked for me!

Best wishes I will certainly keep you in my prayers and let me know how everything turns out!!