Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Bless the Broken Road


Tonight was the last night of the Beth Moore Bible study at a neighbor's house. I truly appreciate her willingness to open her home to all of us and allow us to have a time of fellowship with one another. Tonight I wrote a lot of notes on the study guide pages in my book and I hope to be able to string together my thoughts at a later date to share some of the tidbits of wisdom that I took away from the lesson on the Blessings of Zion.

But tonight she talked about how, sometimes the road that is ahead of us is bumpy. We may start on our journey down this road and think "Whoa, what have I gotten myself into here?" We may think maybe somewhere back down the path we missed our turn - onto that smooth sailing road. You know the one...it doesn't exist. But she talked about how the Grace of God is always given to us in the time of need. We can make our journey down the road if we call upon God ... and He will move us along strength to strength. Because you see, even though we might think differently at times in our lives, if we have a personal relationship with our Lord, we are never truly alone. Isn't that a comforting thought?

If God calls on us to go through a valley of weeping (reference Psalm 84:5-6), He will give us the strength to come back out of that valley. We can call upon His promises. He will give us strength. She also shared a story about one of her daughters, that involves the song "Bless the Broken Road". This song has been around for many years, since it was first recorded by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band circa 1994. Rascal Flatts, a country trio, recorded it in 2005 and it saw renewed success. While it is a secular song, it has a deep and powerful meaning. I want to share with you the lyrics:

I set out on a narrow way many years ago
Hoping I would find true love along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through
I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you


Every long lost dream lead me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

I think about the years
I spent just passing through
I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you
But you just smile and take my hand
You've been there you understand
It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true

Every long lost dream lead me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

The point being, every person or event that has let us down, has been a Northern Star. Pointing us on to our relationship with God. It was rather moving to hear Beth Moore's explanation of this song in the context of a relationship with God.


So I want to leave you with the blessing that she left us with tonight. Psalm 134:3

The LORD who made heaven and earth
Bless you from Zion!

1 comment:

LifeatTheCircus said...

I am currently going through her Psalms of Ascent study... being challenged in many ways and excited about the growth I hope to see in my life in the future! Thanks for sharing.