Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Wonder of Rainbows

On the way home from Karate tonight we noticed a rainbow in the sky. But rainbows have a special meaning for me. I shared a version of this story with the Doodlebug on our drive to the house.

There was a time in my life when I had a job that made me miserable. I was spending too many hours at work and not enough hours with the people who matter most in my life. The Doodlebug would tell me how she missed me. The UIC hated coming home to an empty house and being home for hours before we would get home. I felt like things would never get better. I can remember getting in my car one particularly bad day and thinking 'how can I keep doing this?'... wasn't this what I wanted to avoid when I left the airline? I didn't want to be married to my job. I started driving to my parents' house to pick the Doodlebug up when I noticed something in the sky.

A rainbow. Now while you might see a rainbow and think about how pretty or how neat it is or even get scientific about the colors and the light, etc. all I could see was God's promise. Things would get better. That was what I thought that very instant. And the interesting thing? After that day, I saw a lot of little 'bursts' of rainbows in the sky. And it always had just a calming effect on me. I don't remember if we had a lot of rain that spring, but we certainly had a lot of rainbows.

I explained to the Doodlebug that sometimes when things are bothering us, the best thing we can do is pray about them. Take our troubles and burdens and worries and give them over to God. It's very similar to my experience of discovering Psalm 121:2...but that's a story for another day.

Just remember - when you are worried, sometimes God sends you rainbows.

1 comment:

Scrappy Girl said...

I love the promise and beauty of rainbows too. We saw a double a couple weeks ago but my camera was not handy!