Friday, June 20, 2008

Out with the Old - In with the New

Today has been a less-than-eventful day. This morning I had to meet our friend Ted, who is the mayor of this town we used to live near to give him something from the UIC. The Doodlebug and I then stopped by my parents' house to return a dish that has been sitting on my counter for about a week (!). My sister stopped by during her lunch break. She told us that Joseph, my nephew, is going to ask Danielle to marry him. I think this is very exciting as I remember when the UIC proposed to me all those years ago. I also found out that my niece finally found a job while she's home from college this summer. She's going to work at American Eagle, so I'm looking forward to all the 'advance' notice of sales.

The Doodlebug is spending the night at her best friend's house. The house is so quiet when she is gone. I mean, being only one child she doesn't make a lot of noise, but I think it's a silence that I somehow feel in my heart knowing she's not just down the hall or up the stairs. I hope that she's having a great time. She'll be a little surprised when she gets home and sees what I've done in her room...

All this talk about the 'before and after' that Boo Mama is hosting started me thinking. My friend "D" talking about her daughter's bedroom started me thinking. So this evening, I pulled everything out of her closet. I took pictures so hopefully I'll post my own mini before and after tomorrow. Right now it seems so nice and tidy - getting rid of some stuff that I know doesn't fit and moving her toy chest from the bottom of her closet (I've used it to store her extra blankets, etc for years). I plan on finishing it up in the morning...

I need a little advice, if you would care to share. I have been having a really hard time falling asleep for the past few weeks. It all started when I was sick and had that horrible cough. Do you have any good suggestions that work for you to help you get a good night's sleep? I have found myself up and wide awake at 3:30 this past week (as in, never went to sleep awake). I'm still waking up around 8 so I know my body isn't getting what it needs...I feel lackluster.

So that's it for today... I hope you've had a great Friday. The first official day of summer.

3 comments:

Scrappy Girl said...

Sleep ideas: drink warm milk, no caffiene in the evening, quit eating 2-3 hours before bed, dark room, don't use bedroom for work, when you wake up have a bite of turkey...These are ideas we found when researching it for hubby's problem.

Arleigh said...

If you're willing to take a natural sleep aid I would suggest Melatonin. You can find it at GNC or an herb shop. When I was working crazy hours in retail and balancing my daughter's school schedule I had to rely on something and Melatonin worked for me. It doesn't give you that drowsy feeling like medications do.

The Momster said...

I've been avoiding the caffeine and it seems to be working which is really nice. We had a late night, but I'm off to bed now.

Thank you both for your suggestions. I'm hoping that last night was one of the firsts in my return to normal sleep!