Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The only way to survive the summer...

I know that technically summer is several days away, but it's gotten to be unbearably hot. These are the days when you think about hiding out in the air conditioning or filling the bathtub with ice cubes its so uncomfortable. Thankfully we had some storms move through last night to help cool things off a bit. But summers here are never a treat.

One way we try to stay cool is by having lots of 'cold' things to eat. Like push pops. Or popsicles. Maybe bringing out the snow cone machine. Putting our cokes in the freezer to get super icey. But my favorite thing has to be ice cream sandwich cake. I've had it several different ways now, but I think that the basic recipe is a great foundation to start with. We usually make it for the Doodlebug's birthday which is in August. She has friends whose parents now make it or a variation for their birthday parties as well. One thing is for sure though...nobody ever says 'no thanks' to a slice of this concoction.

Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
2 -12 count boxes of ice cream sandwiches
1 - large container of cool whip
chopped candies or sprinkles
chocolate sauce or anything else you like

You'll need a 9x13 pan to prepare. Unwrap the ice cream sandwiches and lay them in the bottom of the pan. After you've covered the entire pan, smooth some of the cool whip on top. Top the cool whip with half of the chopped candies. Start the process of laying out the ice cream sandwiches again (I like to go in the opposite direction of the bottom layer). Top this off with
the remaining cool whip and candy. Put it back in the freezer to harden up and viola! You have ice cream sandwich cake. Sometimes I end up using more than a large container of cool whip, it's all just based on your personal preferences.

If you try this out, please let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Slacker MOM II said...

Now you tell me about the extra cool whip. I always wondered why yours was so much better. The things I learn on your blog....

The Momster said...

Well.... I gotta keep some secrets don't I?????