Thursday, June 19, 2008

One of My Favorite Little Cookbooks

It should be known that I am a collector of cookbooks. Oh let me correct that - I collected them until I ran out of room for them. Now I have to really, really want the cook book to actually go out and buy it.


When I was dating the UIC, back when I wore the "Marry Me, Fly Free" tee-shirt, I would venture up the interstate on Saturdays to see him at the ballpark where he called ball. Nearby was a shopping mall and a bunch of little strip malls. One of these malls had a Michaels store and being the card-carrying member of the Michaels shopper club (I kid), I had to check it out. I stumbled across this cookbook on that day and the title is what lured me in. After all, I was newly engaged and in the mist of thinking of entertaining and preparing meals for family and friends. Atlanta's Favorite Appetizers by Lois Hutchman Debreceni.

Mrs. Debreceni shares some of her and her friends and families favorite recipes in the book. The book is written and illustrated by her and she had it printed at the Georgia School for the Deaf. The proceeds benefited CURE (Children Cancer and Leukemia). She tells a story of one summer where her parents allowed her and her sister to cook their dinners. On one particularly Hotlanta night, her sister decided to color all the food a 'cooling' color so she added blue food coloring - she says the blue mashed potatoes were 'astonishing'.

She shares quick appetizers that you can prepare from things you probably have laying around in the pantry and frig. She has recipes for cheese items to meat items to seafood and veggies. She even included a chapter on garnishes. This is a woman who took feeding her flock seriously!

Over the years, I've tried different things from the cookbook. Over the next couple of days, I'll share with you some of our favorite recipes from the book. This first one is something that The Doodlebug has requested we have this weekend. I hope if you try it, you enjoy it as much as we do!


Chicken Nuggets
1 lb boneless breast of chicken
1 egg
1 tsp. white wine Worcestershire
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 cup dry bread crumbs
3/4 stick (3 oz) butter

Cut chicken into about 50 bite-size pieces. In a pie pan, beat egg and Worcestershire with fork. Mix crumbs in a bowl with salt and paprika. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and melt butter in 9"x13" baking pan. Dip chicken nuggets (a handful at a time) into egg mixture and then into crumbs. Put in buttered pan and bake 45 minutes, turning once after half an hour. Serve hot with toothpicks, to dip into:

Honey Mustard
3/4 cup mayonnaise
3 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
3 Tbsp. honey


If you decide to try it, please let me know what you think.

The Momster

No comments: