Monday, June 30, 2008

Make the Time Matter

There is a piece of paper on the front of the refrigerator downstairs with only four simple words written on it. Make the time matter. I can remember that I wrote it down after I watched Randy Pausch's final lecture. I ask myself am I making my time matter?

Do I let the people that I love dearly really know how much they mean to me? That I would lay down my life in order to keep my daughter out of harm's way? How I want her to realize the opportunities that are available to her in this life. Have I thanked my parents enough for everything that they have given me, for the morals and independence that they instilled in me? Does the UIC know what his faith in my decision to go to school means to me? And when he says when you're finished with school and our life is where we want it to be, does he realize how much I value the fact that he calls it our life...not our lives? Do my friends realize how much I appreciate their being there for me when I need to be lifted up? When I need a shoulder to lean on?

On the above link about Randy Pausch, you can watch his speech and also read an excerpt from the Parade magazine article that he wrote this past April. He talks about the importance of childhood dreams and dreaming big. He talks about always having fun. Making sure that you ask for what you want and that you're not afraid to take risks. He also talks about making time for the things that matter. What matters to you?

When I sat down to write this post tonight, I started out thinking I'd write about working in the yard after karate class and how I had wanted to catch lightening bugs with my own Doodlebug until she got several phone calls. I stayed outside though and continued working. And my mind worked through how important right now is in my life. I'm young (enough!), my daughter is young, my parents are still here with me, I have friends who love me. I am living out my dreams of becoming a teacher. My husband looks at me the same way that he did 20 years ago when we met. I'm healthy. I want to make my life matter. I want to focus on what is most important to me.

I want to stop putting off what needs to be done or said today. I want to live in the now, not the now or later. I want each day to be filled with wonder. I want to realize that even when times are bad, there's a reason why I'm going through it. I told someone today I know if God led me to it, He's going to lead me through it. Maybe there's a lesson that I'm to learn there so that I can help someone else out down the road?

Before I have an opportunity to go back and decide this is too much, I'm going to end here. Sorry it's so long.... but if I may as you a question...what matters most to you....and what are you doing to make the time matter?

7 comments:

Kelsey said...

Great reminder thanks!

Jo said...

My kids and hubby matter so much to me...to know they are happy, healthy and safe. I also want to create so many memories with our kids so that when they grow up they know how much we love them and loved our time with them.
My parents and friends matter to me as they are always there for me no matter.
It may sound wierd but my pets matter to me a lot too as they give unconditional love and help me to calm down or relax.

Ryzmomplus2 said...

You always leave me thinking and this post hits home. I loved that last lecture and have had everyone I know watch it also.

What really caught my attention was if God let me to it, he will lead me through it... wow, powerful!

off to do some thinking...

The Source said...

What matters most to me...that my children grow up with a personal and lasting relationship with God. I want my family to be happy and content. I think that's why I am sticking with this career, although there isn't much money to be had in it these days, it is definitely something that I can do and still be here for my kids because they still need me...no matter how grown they are getting.

The Momster said...

Kelsey, thanks! Sometimes I think we need those little reminders in our day.

Jo, I agree completely with what you said. When I look back, I have sooo many wonderful happy memories of my childhood. Before and after Steve died. I'm so grateful for the childhood that I had. I also feel the same way about my Cinnamon. She has a very soothing effect on my nerves.

Ryzmomplus2, I could watch The Last Lecture and take away something new each and every time. I'm in awe of the powerful effect his words have on us all.

Source, I agree -it's important to be there for them, no matter what. And building that foundation in their relationship with God. :)

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Great post. I always find that my problem is I say things matter most, but then my actions don't line up.

Thanks for this reminder.

brandiandboys said...

You're exactly right, thanks for the reminder.