Monday, June 30, 2008

Just because I want to know...

The Doodlebug and I were engaged in deep conversation tonight about why she always cries at the part in Spiderman 3 where the Sand Man explains to Peter Parker how Uncle Ben really died. I mean, she was watching the movie with her Daddy, The UIC, while I was upstairs plotting my world dominating take over of Michaels...when I heard sniffle, sniffle, sniffle down the hall.

After further investigation (which means I called downstairs to The UIC) "Hey, you --- what happened?" I discovered the root of the angst. The drama that was consuming the little mamma. So I coaxed her out of the bathroom and down the hall to have a little girl talk... and in the middle of my impromptu speech about hormones and how they just make us sometimes laugh or cry ... or scream...about anything she peeks over at the keyboard... and says...
"Momster, why do you blog?"
I told her that was a good question. I explained how I had been reading blogs for a while before I ever considered having one of my own. I told her that basically I blog to record our family history. It's a record of the things that are going on in our lives and in the world around us. I don't try to be funny or entertaining, I strive to be honest. It's like an extension of the "Dear Diary" that I kept as a child. It's a place for me to record my lists. My thoughts. My fears. That I wished I had more time to share things that I enjoy working on, but with school sometimes that's impossible. I told her it's just a place that is an extension of me.

So I pose the question to you, and I hope you'll leave me a comment with your answer... Why do you blog? I look forward to sharing your replies with her later on today.

12 comments:

Jo said...

I blog to keep my friends and family all over the world up to date. It is also a place to pose questions to others and vent how I am feeling or to brag about something that has happened to me or my family.

The Momster said...

Thanks Jo - I'm also a member of the 'venting' club :)

Jo said...

can I ask what UIC stands for?

Scrappy Girl said...

I blog for several reasons.
1. To record what is happening with me and my family.
2. To share our experiences with our friends and family that live away from us. And to share it with others I meet blogging.
3. To vent my frustrations
4. To "socialize" because I tend to get lonely. Dr. Hubby has long hours and we live WAY out in the country.
5. It is a good creative outlet
6. To learn
7. It keeps me out of the pantry between meals.
8. To be nosey.
9. To get feedback when I need help with something
10. I just absolutely love it.

Kelsey said...

So sweet! I blog because sometimes we need to laugh about the things that go wrong in our life so I write them up in a way that will show how funny it really is. By the end of my writing im laughing to and I releize what happened was not that bad at all.

The Momster said...

Jo,
The UIC is the name that I call my husband - It stands for Umpire In Charge. He's very, very (emphasis overly) involved with Little League Baseball. It's something he is very passionate about:)

The Momster said...

Scrappy Girl,
I would have to agree with those reasons as well now that I've seen them. It does help to curb in-between meal snacks. It gives your hands something to do :)
The being nosey reminded me that when I was an analyst, we would jokingly refer to this little fifteen minute meeting all the ladies on my hallway had as the "Nosey Rosey Club". I had forgotten about that...too funny!

Thanks for playing along :)

The Momster said...

Kelsey:
That's very true - sometimes I go back and look at things and giggle.

Thanks for comments!

Ryzmomplus2 said...

You know I love reading your blog - you have a great way of telling a story! As for my blogging - it began as a means of a "diary" of sorts and has grown into documentation, journaling, keeping in touch with family and much more!

The Momster said...

Ryzmomplus2,
Thank you for the compliment - it truly means a lot. :)

Sassy Momma said...

Thanks for visiting my little blog. I started my blog because of the blogs I read. It's fun to share and read about what is going on in people's lives. It's funny that a complete stranger may be experiencing the same things you are!

The Momster said...

Sassy Momma, welcome to the blogging community - and you're right - it is interesting when you come across someone who is going through the same thing. :)