Thursday, May 22, 2008

Why Do I Care?

Tomorrow is the last day of elementary school for the Doodlebug. I don't think it's really hit me yet. I mean, it's almost over. She's growing up right before my eyes. There are moments when she really shocks me...like today at the talent show. Even though she's sick, she has been fever free for over 48 hours, so she wanted to go to school today and perform in the variety show. She sang "Sk8er Boi" - but the version by Cascada. It was unreal - she didn't seem to be one bit nervous and seemed to really enjoy herself. All afternoon people (ie BOYS) were coming up to her and talking to her about her singing - I called them her 'fan club'. She just blushes. A parent told me that she's just so quiet they had no idea. She rocked the house.

It hit me today - why do I care about making sure everything is done for the teacher that I am subbing for? I mean, she's not been at the school. She's 'phoning' in what needs to be done to be ready for graduation tomorrow. I didn't leave until 6:30 tonight. I am exhausted. In addition to putting everything that has to go home in order, I stacked all of the desks and chairs in the room and tried to clean up a bit. I had to put all of the graduation certificates in folders and a million other things. I had to sign her name to the 'class awards' that I found out should have been done on Tuesday by the counselor and instead they showed up in the mailbox today - with the email that had been sent days ago asking them to be done.

Then I hear from one of the moms at school that the grade coordinator has been saying that I was in charge of the decorating. This was news to me...and it really made me mad. I was like, what? That was news to me. I am tired of this person not taking responsibility for what is going on and I don't want other parents to think that it was my idea to exclude everyone from everything that was happening. I had a parent call me tonight to ask why their son's pictures were sent back home. This means he has no 5th grade page in the hallway. I told her I had no idea - I was never told my responsibility was to hunt down their pictures - I simply worked to put the pages together. I'm over these people. Otherwise I think it might make me crazy. And when this person gets there, she just disappears. To where? I have no clue. If she doesn't care, then maybe she should have just said something... or asked some of the parents who wanted to help to do the work.

A teacher approached me today to see if I wanted to participate in the graduation ceremony tomorrow morning. I don't. It's nothing more than the fact that I don't feel like it's my place to be involved. I want to sit out with the other parents and enjoy the ceremony and take some pictures of my daughter and her friends. I also feel like, as a parent, I would not want the sub involved. LOL I mean, that's not what it's all about. At least the teacher is coming in to do the graduation stuff tomorrow - then she's leaving right afterward. Whatever....

Well it's LOST and GREYS night so I'd better scoot. Hope the world is being good to you in your corner of the world.

The Momster

No comments: