Friday, May 30, 2008

Childhood Memories


I love memories from my own childhood. The Doodlebug asked me the other afternoon while we were fixing lunch what was my favorite memory of being a little girl. I told her I think what I liked the most was the freedom that we had as children. I know that we would wake up in the morning, make our beds and clean our room and then get dressed, have breakfast and head outdoors. There was always someone ready to play. You would literally walk out of the front door and bam! there were your friends.


We would play Red Rover Red Rover in the yard next to my house. I can vividly remember one time the game started with maybe 8 of us and progressed until we even had the teenagers playing - the lines were huge. WE had so much fun. We would play basketball and play on the playground and ride our bikes with wild abandonment. We would roll down hills and eat dry jello (don't knock it till you try it) and eat icees made of koolaid that were frozen in Styrofoam cups and run through the sprinkler system. I can even remember one time my brother and I went sliding in the mud after playing outside while it rained. While I'm sure that wasn't much fun for my Mom, it was one of the best afternoon's of my life! Life was so much fun when I was a little girl.


I remember we moved when I was in the fourth grade. I was so grateful that my parents stayed in the same school district. I had friends from school in the neighborhood and we would play kickball at the end of my street. We rode our bikes around the neighborhood. We'd ride our bikes to the local tennis courts and play a few games and then head to the library and stop by the local meat market for a soda on the way home. We would catch lightening bugs in glass jars from our back yards and again, like was an adventure and you never knew what each day would uncover.


I can remember we always knew that we had to come home for lunch and be back around dinnertime. We didn't wear watches back then. I don't ever remember getting in trouble for not being home in time. I can remember my mom would usually come and find me either playing basketball or on the playground when it was time to come home. I can remember our bathtub was huge and I would get into the tub at night and she would peek in a few times to make sure I didn't fall asleep. I can remember that seldom did I actually have a hard time falling asleep.


I wish that life was still like this. I wish that the Doodlebug could have experienced the childhood that I had. I wish that people would slow down just long enough to realize what our children are missing out on.


What's your favorite childhood memory?

2 comments:

Ryzmomplus2 said...

OMG those memories made me remember my own childhood. I remember playing kick the can in the streets. And someone yelling "car" so we would all move aside... and the same applied with lunch and dinner. How'd we do it? How did are parents do it without cell phones???

The Source said...

We had a play house, built by my grandfather. We hung out there a lot. We played with the neighbors, walked to the neighborhood pool every day, rode bikes to the store owned by an ancient but really sweet lady and bought cokes in glass bottles. Hung out at the park and came home by dark. I don't let my kids go farther than 3 houses away.