Monday, April 7, 2008

Monday Music Mania

Last night we had to have a talk with the Doodlebug about music. Mostly about the types of music that are appropriate and those that are not appropriate. The UIC was really coming down hard on her - and granted, she is only 10 - about some stuff she had been listening to while on the computer.

And it made me think back to when I was young. Much younger. While my friends were just discovering things like Duran Duran, I had been listening to college radio stations for years. I liked all sorts of music and I listened to anything from AC/DC to Debbie Gibson. I started thinking... I wonder what on earth my parents thought about my musical tastes when I was a kid? I mean, my sister worked at the mall. On Thursday nights, I would set out some of my allowance with a note about what record to get for me before she came home the next night.

When I got older I was in the band. You couldn't be my father's daughter and not play some sort of musical instrument. So my weapon of choice was the saxophone. Because they wouldn't agree to let me play the drums. This picture is from marching band practice. I'll think about the days that we spent outside, marching on the field, in our bare feet and I'll think when did I become this old lady who never walks barefoot in the grass? But I digress...

When you think about the music that the 'kids' listen to today, does it really seem that much more extreme than what we listened to in our time? Granted, there are a lot more explicit lyrics and some of the subjects seem taboo, but are they really any worse than some of the things that Prince sang about??? Just a little food for thought.

Until the next time...

The "Rockin" Momster

2 comments:

The Source said...

Well..I think it depends on what you're comparing. Darling Nikki...just as bad as Flo-Rida. But without the music and beat that make you almost HAVE To listen and sing along.

As parents you do have to be careful and help them learn what's not ok out there. If you make it about HER picking the right choices, she won't disappoint you. If you jut demand that certain things are banned, most kids will just sneak the contraband anyway. Because it has more appeal.

The Momster said...

That's the point that I was making to him after he talked to her about music - if you say you forbid it, it makes the temptation that much stronger. I can remember 'sneaking around' listening to some of Prince's more racy songs.

She seems to have discovered some Dance Beat singer Cascada - that's all we've been hearing the past two days. It's actually rather catchy though and so far no racy lyrics...