Wednesday, March 26, 2008

What Is Wrong Here?

I had an experience this afternoon - walking across campus. It's not something that I'm proud of - in fact it was rather embarrassing. I was zipping along on my 400 mile hike back to the car when I lost my footing - and I stepped off of the sidewalk and onto my ankle. Oh yes, you read that right... I landed RIGHT on my ankle. Thank goodness there doesn't appear to be any permanent damage. But...

At the time that this happened, there is this young guy walking right by me - and he continues right on, even when he sees what happened! After I got myself back together and thanked God that I didn't end up on all fours on the ground, I thought "how rude! didn't your mamma teach you any manners!?!" . Then I thought - I'm probably old enough to be his mamma - and that made it even worse. Because when did we decide to stop teaching our children to CARE? I mean, not that I wanted to be rescued, but couldn't he have said "are you alright?" or something like that? I mean, my husband stops on the side of the road and changes tires for elderly people and young moms with small children because after the Doodlebug was born he said it hit him, that could be us on the side of the road.

Are we raising a society of selfish people who can only see as far as the edge of their upturned noses? And yes I'm melodramatic - but this is the ankle that I ripped to shreds many years ago so it really did scare the daylights out of me.

Okay, I feel better now - maybe I need to go out and help some elderly ladies cross the street or rescue some kittens from trees....

Until next time -
The Momster

No comments: