Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Happy Birthday Daddy!

Today is my Dad's 71st birthday. He has had so many health issues since I got married that I consider each and every year that he is here to be a blessing and a gift from God. My Dad is quite the fellow- I cannot think of one thing that he cannot do. He can fix anything that breaks, he is probably one of the strongest men I have ever met, he can play any stringed instrument (and is self-taught), he repairs instruments for his friends, he is kind and sweet and gentle and I love him to pieces.

Daddy grew up on a farm. They had cattle and all sorts of other 'farming things' going on. I know that he would get up in the morning to do his work on the farm, go to school, come home and finish his work and then he would do his homework and study until bedtime. He is the oldest of four children. When I was little Daddy used to love to hunt and fish. He stopped hunting after Steve was killed but he continued to fish and still takes his boat down to the local lake (when it has water!) and enjoys it.

Last year we had a big 70th birthday party for him and his family and all of my parents friends came. My mom's best friend from high school told me a story about Daddy that I never knew that I found to be really interesting. Daddy had a band in high school and I knew that they had played at the local radio stations and he'd performed with some big named people at the time. She told me that on Saturday nights the town would block off Main Street and my Dad's band would play and they'd have dances. I just think this is the neatest thing ever. My Dad is pretty quiet so imagining Daddy up there doing that seems really neat. I just wish someone had pictures or an audio recording from back then, because I'd love to hear it!

There are a million other things I could share with you about Daddy. But for now I'll just end with saying how much I love him and how grateful I am that God gave him to me as my Daddy.

No comments: